The Trip to End All, and Begin New

When I turned 14 years old my parents took me on a surprise trip to the beautiful American State of California. It was mentioned early on that my parents main intention of taking me there was to visit the famous Amusement Park Disneyland. The place where I was told there is great fun and adventure to be had and can even help you discover your true self. A place where dreams come true. Well when I arrived at this utopian sounding park and discovered a much different reality. A reality of little kids screaming and complaining and their parents too busy with their phones to console them. The usual L.A. smog and scorching heat and a place plagued by consumption and the selfishness of people, not to mention litter. I had fun on the rides of course but could not get over this disappointing feeling of a place that was hyped up like a gift from the Heavens even though it was just like visiting an average Six Flags, is this what Walt Disney intended for I wondered. When I think of Disneyland I dream of a place deep in the beautiful valleys of California secluded from all the problems of the world like anxiety due to work or familial stress. The fantasized image of the American Dream that anyone could enjoy.

I did however get another unexpected chance to visit another great place the Library of the 40th President of the United States Ronald Wilson Reagan. This place was up in the gorgeous Simi Valley in the wine country, nothing but shining fields vast as the eye could see and lush palm trees away from the bustling smoggy atmosphere of the great city of L.A. Upon walking into this secluded yet elegant museum I had no idea of the man I was going to learn so much about, all I knew up to this point was that he was President during the 1980s. From the first Exhibit about his upbringing in the Mid West plains of Illinois during WWI in his main street USA hometown of Tampico, Illinois. To the story of his father housing African Americans disallowed from staying in local hotels out of the goodness of his heart and how it shaped Reagan’s trademark humanity and interest in the workers and common people of the country. As well as the courage and intelligence of Americans in general. To his career as an actor and radio host where he found his passion for politics and economics, also powerful charismatic voice and speaking skills. His prosperous days of Governor of California and the marriage to his wonderful wife Nancy and their Campaign and eventual election to the White House in 1980, which changed the future of America forever.

Bringing back the simpler, patriotic and faith/moral driven days of post-War 1950s America with a Capitalist and free market based economy with smart and astute Entrepreneurs encouraged at the helm after the disastrous economic policies of the previous later half of the 1970s. Also his unprecedented ability to inspire strength and forward movement of the country. His strong and witty military policies that were able to bring an end to the Cold War and the horrific/oppressive Communist Regime of the USSR. That lead to establishing a lasting peace and friendship with the Russian Federation. Also his freeing of the Hostages in Iran and he and Nancy’s fight against Drug Abuse in America, especially among innocent youths, with the “Just Say No” Campaign. It was one of the greatest and most prosperous periods in American history due solely to his unquestionable patriotism, strong and witty resolve and wonderful charisma as well as  powerful speeches. This is the world that Walt Disney imagined for his grand creation of Disneyland, which I ironically found at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, which has inspired me to pursue a career in politics for the future greater good.

C

2 thoughts on “The Trip to End All, and Begin New

1. ,Dear Charles,

What a wonderful anecdote! Very interesting! I learned a lot of facts that I did not know before reading your story. I love how you ended up finding the joy and happiness in the museum, rather than where you expected to find it, in Disneyland. I really liked the sentence, “The usual L.A. smog and scorching heat and a place plagued by consumption and the selfishness of people, not to mention litter. “ The descriptive words you used allowed me to envision what Disneyland looked like in your perspective, what you felt as you were there, and what you saw the surrounding people doing. It took me back to the time where I went to Disneyland, as well.

A suggestion moving forward would be mainly grammar. I saw a lot of grammar mistakes where you often forgot to put a comma somewhere, or a semicolon. There was many opportunities to put a THAMOS or a SWABI in your sentences, so I would suggest that next time you look for those opportunities and enforce it in your writing. A second suggestion would be to add more of your feeling and emotions during your time at both the museum and Disneyland. I felt that I did not know how you truly felt to be present at those places or what you actually did there. Lastly, moving on, I would recommend some dialogue in your anecdote to make it even more intriguing; therefore allowing me to gain more interest in what you want to say.

Nonetheless, amazing work Charles. I really enjoyed reading your anecdote; it was an excellent piece!

Kind regards,
    Hiba 🙂

2. Dear Charles,

I greatly enjoyed reading your view on the “joyous wonderland” that is Disney, I’ve been there too and its not as great as everyone makes it out to be, just as you said. I would encourage you to go into more detail with the description of Disney. you could write about illusion v.s reality.

Sincerely,
    Aaman